TEMPORARILY SOLD OUT - I have parts left to build seven more pedals. These will be the last. When those are gone, I am changing the model into a new version, based on the amazing sounding silicon transistor adaption of the FZ-1A circuit that we developed for the new Double Classic Fuzz pedal. I am accepting preorders for the last seven germanium based pedals now. I expect to have them ready for shipment in late October 2022.
Based on the first guitar pedal ever made, The 1962 Gibson Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz-Tone
The Reuss Vintage Three Volt Fuzz is based on the world's first guitar pedal, the 1962 Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz-Tone (not the later FZ-1A or the FZ-1B). It's built with 2N270 germanium transistors and runs on 3V like the original old pedal.
It's a quirky sounding fuzz. Very grainy and lo-fi, with a healthy dose of that 'dying battery' quality. The nasal voice is due to the very limited bandwith of the 2N270 transistors. This is not the fuzz to end all fuzzes, but it has some unique sonic qualities, not found in more popular vintage fuzz circuits, like the tonebenders and fuzzfaces etc.
In the Vintage Three Volt Fuzz, one of the three 2N270 transistors or the original schematics is replaced with a Tungsram GC301 germanium, due to a lack of 2N270s with satisfying properties for a great match of three. The unique voice and indiosyncrasies of the pedal remains the same.
New, July 2022: I am launching the 'Double Classic Fuzz' which is a two-in-one pedal featuring two different 'fuzz-tones', based on the the FZ-1A and the FZ-1S. Please check it out!
Please note that the picture of the insides show an early pedal with three 2N270s.
Youtube demo by Manoj Ramdas
Vintage Three Volt Fuzz features and specifications
- Original 1962 FZ-1 circuit (which is a quite unusual and weird sounding one)
- Gloss brown finish with 'cream' silk screen printing
- New old stock Motorola 2N270 and Tungsram GC301 germanium transistors (rare and expensive parts)
- Carbon film resistors
- 100% handmade in the European Union (Denmark & Bulgaria)
- High quality Neutrik jacks, wired by hand
- 'Pro' upgrade footswitch (good for at least 30000 stomps)
- True bypass-switching
- Orange LED pilot light (resembling a vintage control lamp)
- Runs on 3V (two carbon zinc 'AAA' batteries included)
- Positive ground - external power supply not possible - pedal may interact unexpectedly with other pedals
- Ships in a 'reuss' box and linen draw-string bag
- Worldwide shipping from Denmark. Orders posted before 2:00 PM Central European Time on weekdays ships same day
Download the Reuss FZ-01 Vintage Three Volt Fuzz manual here
Demo from the Reuss youtube channel
Entertaining vintage Fuzz-Tone demo record posted at YouTube
PLEASE NOTE: Prices at the webshop are listed without VAT. For customers in the European Union VAT is added at check-out.