The perfect face
Super great sounding 1960s germanium 'face' fuzz circuit, built with rare NPN germanium transistors for modern, pedalboard friendly power polarity
The Reuss 'Octaviaze' germanium Octavia have been calling out for a companion for a while, for those Jimi sounds, and here it is: A pure and simple 1960s two-transistor 'face' fuzz pedal handmade with carefully matched vintage new old stock 1960s US made OC140 NPN germanium transistors
The tone of the Reuss Purple Faze is everything you'd desire from a FF type of fuzz. Warm, responsive, beautifully textured, cleans up when rolling back your volume knob. The pedal works both for full-on fuzz tones and as a relatively mild drive at modest settings. It's a super useful tool.
The big advantage of the NPN transistors is that these allows the original, un-modified circuit to be built with modern power polarity (negative ground), for flawless integration with a modern pedalboard power supply. A huge advance over vintage pedals (and modern clones) which are usually made with PNP transistors and features reverse power polarity - which can cause all sorts of issues.
New in December 2020: Now available in a super limited 'Special' edition featuring the cream of the crop of the OC140 transistors, selected for high hfe (gain) and low leakage (Q1 hfe = app. 90 and Q2 hfe >125). This makes for an extraordinarily loud and powerful pedal with all the qualities you'd expect from a great germanium 'face' fuzz - and then some. It's the proof that sometimes more IS more. Choose the 'Special' option from the ordering drop-down menu. Four of the pedals of the current lot are 'Specials'.
Limited availability, made in tiny batches.
Demo by @hey_buddy6:
The Purple Fuzz is made to match the Reuss Octaviaze (germanium Octavia) for the ultimate Jimi rig
Reuss Purple Faze specifications:
- True to vintage germanium fuzz circuit based on the FF, built with carefully matched vintage new old stock OC140 NPN germanium transistors (personally matched by myself)
- Pedalboard friendly negative ground powered (contrary to vintage pedals which had reverse polarity)
- Extremely high build quality. Completely handmade in the European Union
- No SMD parts. Only vintage-style ’through hole’ construction
- Compact aluminium enclosure in a "cosmic purple" metallic powder coat finish with yellow silk screen printed graphics
- High quality Neutrik jacks, wired by hand
- Upgrade quality footswitch (good for at least 50000 stomps)
- Runs on a standard ’Boss-style’ 9V DC 'negative centre' guitar pedal power supply or a 9V battery. Please note that due to the pedal's true-to-vintage circuit, modern 'switch mode' power supplies (SMPS) can induce a high pitched noise to the sound. I recommend using an old fashioned 'linear' power supply or a battery
- 24 months warranty against manufacturing faults
- Packed in a cardboard box and linen draw-string bag
- Fast worldwide shipping via DHL Express from Denmark. Your pedal is only few days away, no matter where you live
Inside the Reuss Purple Faze:
The Purple Faze performs extremely well in this tough comparison with some of the big boys. You won't find a better germanium face fuzz in any price range:
Download the Purple Faze manual here
Please note: Being a vintage circuit, the fuzz wants to see a high impedance input signal to sound correct. Any low impedance signal from a buffered bypass pedal (like a Boss or Ibanez or similar type) will make the fuzz sound wrong. It will loose punch and fullness and sound thin and fizzy. Not as intended. Always put a vintage fuzz-circuit (tone benders, fuzzfaces etc.) first in your chain.
ALSO PLEASE NOTE: Prices at the webshop are listed without VAT. For customers in the European Union 25% VAT is added at check-out.